Tuesday, March 22, 2016

5th year of En Route to Fukushima - the Way of Suffering and the Way of Hope

"I am not a blogger - let's start with that." 
This was the first sentence I wrote when I created this blog on April 15, 2011. Then, knowing my impatience and tendency to bring things to tight closure, I added something that sounded like a disclaimer for any future discontinuity.
I intend to stop this blog shortly after Easter when I leave Fukushima to return to my home in Vancouver, Canada. If my Japanese friends and I perceive the need to continue after Easter, I may. But at the moment, I envision that this blog will have a short web life expectancy.
Five years later, I proved myself wrong!

Today I am writing the 95th entry of this blog here in Koriyama on the first day of my eighth trip to Fukushima. The world has changed dramatically in these short five years.

South Sudan became an independent nation and North Korea's former leader, Kim Jung-Il died in December in the in the same year of the Tohoku disaster. Israel and Hamas war broke out in 2012 (and again in 2013) and Russia's military intervention began in Ukraine in 2013. ISIS became the most frequent user of cyber-media by any state-level organized group. The refugee crisis in the Mediterranean region now officially outnumbers the number of refugees during and after WWII.

Has the world become a worse place? Even just today, there were bombing attacks in Belgium. It for sure feels so by the sound of media covering the news concerning these big issues.

I am here in Fukushima on a ten-day journey, however, not to repeat big, loud, news at a micro level, nor even trying to deny any of the tragic facts of the Fukushima triple disaster and consequences. But I am here to find people and places where signs of hope appear in the midst of suffering -- to listen to stories of people on the road to hope via dolorosa.

During this Holy Week and Easter Week, my friend and translator, Midori and I will visit the cities and travel through towns that show in the map belowHere’s the brief itinerary shows where each place is located and (see the map and related story on CNN’s report). 


I realize this is the exact same route we took to visit the local churches just weeks after the disaster. I am curious to hear what these five years have taught these resilient people of Fukushima.

Koriyama (March 22-24)
We will be visiting Grace Garden Chapel & meeting with the leaders of Fukushima Christian Network. 

Fukushima City (March 25)
Fukushima City is the capitol of Fukushima Prefecture, but due to emigration of local population since the 311 disaster and influx of recovery workers into coastal areas, this city is no longer a major hub in Fukushima. We will be visiting a local church.

Minami Soma (March 26-27)
This city is located directly north of Daiichi Nuclear Plant within the 20-30 KM evacuation zone. We will be joining Haramachi Bible Church for Easter worship and fellowship. Midori and I will travel south via the recently recovered train and bus systems on Highway no. 6 along the Coastal line of Fukushima (except for the area surrounding the Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant). 

Iwaki (March 28-31)

As the hub of relocation, resettlement and radiation clean-up work, Iwaki has been going through major changes. We will visit Nakoso Christ Church, Global Mission Chapel and Fukushima Daiichi Baptist Church. 

No comments:

Post a Comment